Lychee has a firm and rough skin which is bright pink-red in colour. Lychee is native to China. The fruit grows in bunches of 5 to 30 pieces in trees. The inside consists of a layer of sweet, white flesh, with a texture somewhat similar to that of a grape. The center contains a single glossy brown nut-like seed.
May thru June.
Where It Grows
Because it does best in warm, humid climates, lychee thrived in Hawaii, Florida, and then California in the latter years of the 1800s. Lychees are an international fruit now, from Australia to Brazil, Burma to Africa.
How It Grows
Most lychee trees are reproduced by air-laying. A layer of damp sphagnum moss is applied over the exposed wood and covered with plastic. In two to three months the branch is removed from the tree and planted in a grower’s pot or a sheltered garden. Once the new tree is established, it will begin producing fruit in three to five years. The lychee tree can grow up to 40 feet high, and requires warm, humid temperature along with chilled periods for proper growth. The warm weather is essential for the development of the fruit, while the chilled weather is required for the development of the flower bud.
Lychee Care & Storage
Lychees must be allowed to completely ripen on the tree, and so, they are best consumed as soon after harvest as possible.
Once you receive your order, please remove the stems and leaves and enjoy your lychees. You can also store Lychees for extended period as below.
Refrigerate them immediately in a plastic bag to give them a shelf life of up to a week.
You can also freeze your lychees to enjoy them all year long! Once frozen, they should remain fresh for up to one year in an air-tight freezer bag.
Did You Know?
- The lychee is also called ‘Chinese Strawberry’, due to its origin and shape.
- In China, the lychee is a symbol of romance and love.
- Lychee has been cultivated for over two thousand years.
- The seed of the lychee is toxic, ensure that you do not consume the seed.
- Lychee fruit extract is great for losing weight around the abdomen, and for those who aim to improve their body metabolism.
- Eating lychees protects one from potential heart attacks. It clears out blood clots and keeps the cells healthy.
- It contains fatty acids that are essential in order to absorb fat-soluble vitamins, so it can aid in digestion of other healthy foods.
Calories from Fat0